Choose ONE of the prompts below & write a complete essay over the topic. You need to use quotes to support your argument. Scroll to the bottom of the assignment for specific criteria regarding submission and grading.
PROMPT OPTION #1
Responsibility in Romeo and Juliet: Explain who is responsible for the deaths of Romeo and Juliet at the end of the play.
Discussion of the prompt: Romeo and Juliet do not begin the play from a point of desperation—where they feel that taking their own lives is the only solution. What are the different factors that result in their poor decision making at the end? Ultimately, who do you blame the most & why? Choose one of the organizational formats below and organize an essay arguing who is most responsible for their deaths. The apothecary, Balthazar, or Friar John can only be support for a larger point -you cannot write an entire paper on any of these MINOR characters.
Format 1: Multiple characters’ actions
Each body paragraph will focus on a different character and how that character’s actions lead to the untimely deaths of our protagonists. Explain how the character’s initial motivation may have been good, but due to the action and complications of the play lead our protagonists toward tragedy. USE 1-2 QUOTES FOR EVERY BODY PARAGRAPH TO SUPPORT YOUR POSITION.
Format 2: One character’s actions
Each body paragraph will focus on how different actions taken by one character lead to their untimely deaths. For example, you could focus on three to four separate actions taken by Romeo which lead to their desperation. You could focus on different aspects of the Friar’s actions and plans (remember, he says he should be punished at the very end of Act 5). USE 1-2 QUOTES FOR EVERY BODY PARAGRAPH TO SUPPORT YOUR POSITION.
PROMPT OPTION #2
Love in Romeo and Juliet: Explain whether Romeo and Juliet are in love or not.
Discussion of the prompt: Romeo and Juliet do not begin the play from a point of desperation—a place where they feel that taking their own lives is the only solution. Do you believe that their final acts represent the fact that they were in love? Or, do you believe they were never really in love to begin with? In your opinion, which scenario is more tragic?
Body paragraphs can focus primarily on Romeo, primarily on Juliet, or can be balanced between both characters. Cite specific evidence to prove your point – both points are equally valid depending on which quotes you use as support. USE 1-2 QUOTES FOR EVERY BODY PARAGRAPH TO SUPPORT YOUR POSITION.
GRADING CRITERIA / ESSAY RUBRIC: Each essay should include 1-2 quotes per body paragraph to support your argument. You must include the following criteria:
- Introduction beginning with an attention-getter, continuing with a short summaryof the play, and ending with a thesis statement (the main idea of the essay stating who is responsible).
- THREE-FOUR body paragraphs, each outlining one of the three main ideas of your paper (which should be apparent in the thesis statement as the three greatest character deficiencies).
- Each body paragraph should begin with a topic sentence and end with a closing sentence.
- Each body paragraph should provide SPECIFIC QUOTES from the play to support your main points (be sure to cite act, scene, and line numbers correctly).
- Conclusion that consists of:
- Re-statement of main ideas
- Catchy last line to peak the reader’s curiosity or encourage the reader to think about your main points (include thoughts on the tragedy of their lives)
All papers must be typed. All papers must follow MLA format
- Your name, my name, the class, & date in upper left corner (don’t put it in a heading, just the first thing you type on the first page)
- Page numbers in upper right corners
- Double-spaced typed
- Title centered one space below the date
- One inch margins
- 12 pt, Times New Roman font
- Save as “Romeo and Juliet Essay” in your Google Drive and share with me: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- PRINT essay and turn into Borger’s sub with a rubric stapled to the front on FRIDAY 05/12 EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT DONE YET!